About Applied Filters
An Applied Filter is a type of dashboard filter that uses a prespecified filter expression to filter all related insights on a dashboard.
Applied filters can be set as default or mandatory.
Some things to keep in mind when using Applied Filters:
- Applied Filters are not visible to dashboard users with only **view **permissions
- Users with edit permissions will see applied filter configuratios when viewing the Dashboard Filters in Manage Filters & Prompts.
Configure Applied Filters
Applied Filters support a variety of configurations:
- One or more columns can be specified as applied filters
- Selected columns can be Keys, Dimensions, and Measures
- A formula can be an applied filter
- Columns and formulas can be of any data type
- A business schema view formula column can also be an applied filter
Columns as Applied Filters
A column used as an Applied Filter specifies the filter expression for the specified column or for a formula. A filter expression for a column consists of the selected column, selected filter operator, and selected values.
Certain filter operators afford various options for selecting one or more filter values. For example, the In and Not In operator allows for the selection of none, one or more, or all filter values.
Formulas as Applied Filters
A formula as an Applied Filter can be evaluated dynamically using a filter expression. For example, with the Dynamic property enabled, a filter expression session variable must be selected.
To learn more about session variables and formulas, see:
Create an Applied Filter
To create an Applied Filter:
- Select a dashboard from the Content screen.
- Select More Options (kebab icon) from the dashboard’s action bar.
- Choose Manage Filters & Prompts from the dashboard options menu to open the Dashboard filters screen.
- Select the Applied Filters tab.
From the data panel on the left, select the column(s) you want to add to the filter tray.
- To add a column: drag and drop the column into the filter tray, or click the + (plus sign) to the right of the column’s name.
- To preview the column details before adding it to the filter tray, click the View icon (eye icon) next to the column name.
- Select the down caret of the column to open the Property Menu and set the properties of the Applied Filter.
- Select Done in the upper right-hand corner to return to the dashboard view.
Set Column Applied Filter Properties
To set (or edit) Applied Filter properties, follow these steps after you have created your applied filter:
- Open the Properties Menu for the column that is an Applied Filter.
- In the Properties Menu, select Edit Operator / Values.
- In the Filter Expression Menu, select the filter operator and filter value.
- Select Filter to save the filter expression.
- In the action bar, select Done to save the applied filter properties.
Set Formula Applied Filter Properties
To set (or edit) Applied Filter formula properties, follow these steps after you have created your applied filter:
Select the down caret on to open the Properties Menu for the Applied Filter.
To create a formula:
- Click the Formula field to open the Formula Builder.
- Drag and drop Functions or Variables from the panel on the right.
- Select Validate and Save.
- In the Filter Expression Menu, select the filter operator and filter values for your formula.
- Select Filter.
- Select Done to save your selections.
To set a session variable:
- Toggle Dynamic on to set a session variable value.
- Select a session variable value from the list.
Edit or Delete an Applied Filter
- Select More Options (kebab icon) in the dashboard’s action bar then Manage Filters & Prompts to open the Dashboard filters screen.
Select the Applied Filters tab.
- To Edit the Applied Filter, select the down caret to open the Properties Menu and make your changes.
- To Delete the Applied Filter, simply click the X on the Applied Filter pill to remove it.
- Select Done to save your selections and return to the Dashboard.